1) Employment Paperwork
- All completed employment paperwork and documents, listed on the right, are to be submitted at your mandatory substitute orientation session by following the Substitute Application Checklist, which is the first document listed on the right. The SWO-COG does not provide hard copies of any of these documents for subs.
- Please do not mail or drop off the paperwork prior to your scheduled orientation session.
- Failure to submit all items listed and in order on the Substitute Application Checklist will prevent you from being registered as a sub.
- Carefully read the Criminal Background Check (BCI & FBI) information provided via the links below on the right.
- Register for a mandatory substitute orientation session below, under #2.
2) Register for a mandatory Substitute Orientation Session
There is a $30 registration fee for processing all substitute materials and training, which is required to be paid online through BCESC EZpay when registering online. This fee must be pre-paid before attending your session. Substitutes only have to attend one mandatory session, either at BCESC or at WCESC.
3) ODE Online License Applications
provides step-by-step credential application guides, listed on the right, for
assistance in submitting your online license application with them, whether you
need a NEW
or a RENEW
Substitute Teacher License. When applying, please enter Butler County ESC as
the Superintendent's Signature. Districts no longer approve substitute
NOTE: You must either bring a hard copy of your current teaching or substitute license with you to the mandatory substitute orientation session or have started your online license application process BEFORE attending the session!
Also, if you have a current teaching license and are also considered HQT (Highly Qualified Teacher), please submit the proper forms, along with supporting documentation, with your teaching license! The link to the ODE HQT Toolkit is listed on the right.
4) Employment Required Online Training Courses
Public School Works on-line training courses include the following mandatory/required training courses for all new certified substitutes the first school year with the SWO-COG:
After the first school year, the Public School Works online course(s) required for all returning SWO-COG certified substitutes are as follows and PSW will email each sub one year out from when the sub completed his/her online courses during the last school year:
- Blood Borne Pathogens
- Employee Accident and Exposure Reporting
- Child Abuse Recognition/Prevention (Has 5 Modules)
- Module 1 - Preventing Child Abuse & Human Trafficking
- Module 2 - Depression and Self-Destructive Behavior
- Module 3 - School Violence (with Dating Violence)
- Module 4 - Substance Abuse/Prevention
- Module 5 - Positive Youth Development
- Information on these required online training courses for new subs will be provided at the mandatory Substitute Orientation session.
- For new SWO-COG substitutes, you will not receive a login by email from Public School Works until after you have been through the Substitute Orientation Session.
Required every school year: Blood Borne Pathogens
- Required every two years: Employee Accident & Exposure Reporting
- Required every five years: Child Abuse Recognition/Prevention (5 Modules)
- These course(s) must be completed within 30 days once you receive the email from Public School Works or you will be removed from the list of approved substitutes until completed!
- Substitutes will not receive payment/credit upon completion of courses!