Click the links Below
1) Employment Paperwork
- All completed employment paperwork, documents, including a copy of your current ODE teaching license or substitute license, are to be submitted at your mandatory substitute orientation session by following the Substitute Application Checklist, which is the first document listed on the right. The SWO-COG does not provide hard copies of any of these documents for subs.
- Please do not mail or drop off the paperwork prior to your scheduled orientation session.
- Failure to submit all items listed and in order on the Substitute Application Checklist will prevent you from being registered as a sub.
- Carefully read the Criminal Background Check (BCI & FBI) information provided via the links below on the right.
- Register for a mandatory substitute orientation session below, under #2.
2) Register for a mandatory Substitute Orientation Session
There is a $30 registration fee for processing all substitute materials and training, which is required to be paid online through BCESC EZpay when registering online. This fee must be pre-paid before attending your session. Substitutes only have to attend ONE mandatory orientation session, either at BCESC or WCESC.
3) ODE Online License Applications
ODE provides step-by-step credential application guides, listed on the right, for assistance in submitting your online substitute license application with them, whether you need a NEW or a RENEW Substitute Teacher License. When applying with ODE, please enter Butler County ESC as the Superintendent's Signature. Districts no longer approve substitute licenses! If you have a current teaching license, you do not need to apply for any type of substitute license!
NEW in 2017-18: All substitutes must bring a copy of your current teaching license or substitute license with you to the mandatory substitute orientation session! If ODE has not yet issued your license, or you have not printed it off, or you have not applied yet, or you are still in the process, then you can not attend a mandatory substitute orientation session until you have a copy of your current license to turn in with the rest of your required paperwork and documents.
Also, if you have a current teaching license and are also considered HQT (Highly Qualified Teacher), please submit the proper forms, along with supporting documentation, with your teaching license! The link to the ODE HQT Toolkit is listed on the right.
4) Employment Required Online Training Courses
Public School Works on-line training courses include the following mandatory/required training courses for all new certified substitutes the first school year with the SWO-COG:
After the first school year, the Public School Works online course(s) required for all returning SWO-COG certified substitutes are as follows and PSW will email each sub one year out from when the sub completed his/her online courses during the last school year:
- Blood Borne Pathogens
- Employee Accident and Exposure Reporting
- Child Abuse Recognition/Prevention (Has 5 Modules)
- Module 1 - Preventing Child Abuse & Human Trafficking
- Module 2 - Depression and Self-Destructive Behavior
- Module 3 - School Violence (with Dating Violence)
- Module 4 - Substance Abuse/Prevention
- Module 5 - Positive Youth Development
- Information on these required online training courses for new subs will be provided at the mandatory Substitute Orientation session.
- For new SWO-COG substitutes, you will not receive a login by email from Public School Works until after you have been through the Substitute Orientation Session.
Required every school year: Blood Borne Pathogens
- Required every two years: Employee Accident & Exposure Reporting
- Required every five years: Child Abuse Recognition/Prevention (5 Modules)
- These course(s) must be completed within 30 days once you receive the email from Public School Works or you will be removed from the list of approved substitutes until completed!
- Substitutes will not receive payment/credit upon completion of courses!