Choosing a preschool program for your family is one of the most important decisions you will make as a parent. Some programs are operated by local school districts, federal agencies (Head Start), nonprofit groups (churches, charitable organizations), or others.
So, what makes a Premier Preschool Program?
No matter what preschool program you select for your child, you and your child's teachers can join in a partnership to enhance your child's learning experience. By building strong home-school relationships from the start, parents and teachers can support children and prepare them for future success, both in and outside the classroom.
- Does the curriculum prepare your child for school?
- Does the program follow Ohio’s Early Learning Program Standards?
- Are a wide range of instructional methods used, such as small-group learning, whole-group learning, and individual learning?
- Do you see great conversations between teachers and children?
- Do you see evidence of literacy materials – reading, writing, science, and math exploration?
- Are children in the classroom actively engaged with peers and adults?
- How often does the program review the effectiveness of student progress?
- How is the progress of each child reported to families?
- Is the program culturally rich and diverse?
- Is there a consistent, positive approach to discipline?
- Are there activities to do at home that connect parents with what is happening at school?
- Is there a transition plan in place to guide children and parents on to Kindergarten?