STEP ONE: ODE Online Substitute License Application
STARTING in 2017-2018: If you are wanting to become one of our SWO-COG
certified substitute teachers, you MUST have a copy of your current ODE teaching
license or substitute license BEFORE you can register
to attend one of the upcoming mandatory SWO-COG Substitute Orientation
STEP TWO below.
NOTE: This MAY also include you having to get your BCI/FBI reports completed
right away at either Butler County ESC (Hamilton, OH) or Warren County ESC
(Lebanon, OH), so both of your reports are electronically sent
up to ODE and the location can also print off copies of your BCI/FBI reports to
be filed for when you attend a session. The BCI/FBI Reports Pre-payment Directions/Locations is listed to the right, below Required Employee Paperwork, Docs and Payroll Forms.
provides a CORE
Applicant User Manual, listed on the right, for assistance in
submitting your online substitute license application with them, whether you
need a New/First Time
or a Renewal of
a substitute license.
1: If you hold a
current ODE teaching license, you DO NOT need to apply for a substitute
2: When you are applying
online with ODE, please enter, Butler
County ESC OR Warren County ESC as the Superintendent's Signature. Districts no longer
approve substitute licenses.
STEP TWO: Register for a Mandatory Substitute
There is a $30 registration fee for processing all substitute materials and training, which is required to be paid online through Eventbrite when registering online. This fee must be pre-paid before attending your session on Zoom. Substitutes only have to attend ONE mandatory orientation session on
Zoom, either with BCESC or WCESC.
Orientation Session being held on Zoom
- You MUST have a copy of your current ODE teaching
license or substitute license BEFORE you can register to attend one of the
upcoming mandatory SWO-COG Substitute Orientation Sessions being
held on Zoom
the link here, SWO-COG Substitute Orientation Dates, to
register and make your pre-payment online.
print off and COMPLETE all the required paperwork/forms listed on the right.
- Place all your completed paperwork, including a copy of your ODE teaching or
substitute license and copies of your BCI/FBI reports (if applicable), in an
envelope or folder.
- Then drop off 3 days before your scheduled Sub Orientation
Zoom session to the location you have registered to attend, either at BCESC or
- The location will look over your paperwork, and if everything has
been turned in, you will receive a Zoom invitation to join the session online
on your registered date/time.
- You do not need to have Zoom downloaded on your device.
- We recommend you use either a stand alone computer, laptop or tablet. Viewing on a phone is very difficult and you may not be able to see the full screen during the session.
STEP THREE: Required Employment Paperwork
- All completed employment paperwork, documents, including a copy of your current ODE teaching license or substitute license, are to be submitted at your mandatory substitute orientation session by following the Substitute Application Checklist, which is the first document listed on the right. The SWO-COG does not provide hard copies of any of these documents for subs.
- Please do not mail or drop off the completed paperwork prior to your scheduled orientation session.
- Failure to submit all completed items listed and in order on the Substitute Application Checklist will prevent you from being registered as a sub.
- Carefully read the Criminal Background Check (BCI/FBI)
information provided via the links listed on the right.
Employment Required Online Training Courses
School Works has seven mandatory/required online training courses for all new certified substitute teachers the first school year with the SWO-COG. Information on these required online training courses for new substitutes will be provided at the mandatory SWO-COG Substitute Orientation session. All new substitutes will not receive a login by email from Public School Works until AFTER the substitutes have been through one of the mandatory SWO-COG Substitute Orientation sessions. All new substitutes will be given a 30-day period to complete and pass all the required online courses after they receive the email from Public School Works.